WVU v. WVU: They can’t possibly lose this one

2014-04-12_11-05-57_590

You are looking live at the cover of the program for today’s spring game. Remember a year ago when we had some talks about how there were no “Cover Boys” for the 2013 season? That figured to be a rarity — it had been nine years since the team was in a similar spot — and we pretty much knew time and results would give us names and faces for the future.

Well, your names and faces, so far, for the 2014 season, from left to right: Right guard Mark Glowinski, safety Karl Joseph, left guard Quinton Spain and cornerback Ickey Banks.

I don’t have any problem with any of those guys. If I was doing a list, they’e be in the upper echelon. But I want to stop and point at that list for just a second. The banner men for Dana Holgorsen’s fourth team — Dana Holgorsen, I must repeat — are two offensive linemen and two defensive backs. Two guards and two players who have been on the back end of two of the very worst defenses in school history.

I mean, that’s … that’s something, right?

Now, this is not to say the story won’t changeĀ over the summer, or even today, and that guys like Dreamius Smith and Mario Alford and Wendell Smallwood and Kevin White and Nick Kwiatkoski and Daryl Worley and Kyle Rose won’t step forward. And Andrew Buie and I don’t think we should take things like players splashed on covers too seriously, but it’s probably some sort of a clue about this team and the direction it heads after today.

Speaking of what awaits the Mountaineers …

2014-04-12_11-06-09_262

Let’s enjoy this, OK?

6 Responses to “WVU v. WVU: They can’t possibly lose this one”

1. Bobby Heenan says:

After one quarter they are who we thought they were -better at defense, not good on offense, and number 5 can run.

2. DanInNJ says:

The QBs didn’t impress all that much but there were dropped passes. Overall I think they made good decisions, especially Millard. In the end I think it will come down to Millard or Trickett. Moore showed some skills and Howard did as well but they can’t run the offense like Millard can (and hopefully Trickett will be able to).

The offensive line is a big concern.

3. Bobby Heenan says:

Where was Dremius? I presume he was held out due to a minor injury or something.

4. Sammy says:

Spring game was about what I expected, maybe a little better. This team could beat almost any team (Alabama is likely one of the exceptions) but could lose to almost any team, but I sure wouldn’t bet on them in a shootout. Good thing they play in the Big 12.

It gets hard to evaluate as the game goes on because there are so many backups in and out. I had a few thoughts. Curious if anyone agrees/disagrees:

– The first team defense shut down the offense in the first half, though some of that was a result of bad throws. The offense had more success once backups started going in.

– Receivers looked OK. White could put up some big numbers with some help though he still looks a little raw. Alford is explosive but needed to reel a couple of passes in though he wasn’t getting a lot of help. Weirdly I thought KJ Myers looked good even though he dropped a touchdown pass. He has some size and athleticism and looked OK on some screens, but plays like that drop are why he isn’t playing more I guess.

– There were a few times where it looked like we played with 3 down linemen, a single free safety and three linebackers and two safeties near the line, which seems like Casteel’s influence on Gibby.

– Hard to judge the linebackers since about 70 of them played. I thought the starting secondary played very well; was choppier with Harper, Keishawn Richardson, Napoleon and others in the game, though Napoleon made a couple of plays. I think Jeremy Tyler is going to be good, though that doesn’t mean Big 12 teams won’t exploit a true sophomore free safety.

– I didn’t learn a lot about the runningback situation, though I liked Buie and Smallwood in the slot. The stream messed up the big pass to Smallwood in the slot (and Geoff Coyle initially called it as a long catch by “Kyle White”), so I don’t know what kind of route he ran but it all seemed a positive development. Garrison looked solid but he was playing with the second team and I don’t think we’ll rely on him. Shell looks talented but still a little out of shape.

– The QB situation is what it was. Millard probably came out on top, especially keeping in mind that I think he played against the first team defense the most, and I’m confused by the commentary saying Howard played so great. Honestly I didn’t see much separation between him and Logan Moore, though I think Moore is game considering he’s a walk-on one-time receiver.

– I’d have to go back to watch the spring game but if I can take anything away from the strategy and the how as Mike said the other day, I liked the guys like Smallwood, Buie, Clay and Wellman who played multiple spots, and we moved the receivers on and off the line more than in the past. It also seemed like we didn’t go with as many slow developing play-action passes as opposed to quick hitters that get the ball out of the QBs’ hands. I agree with that strategy, but some might have been sandbagging given that it’s the spring game.

– The best thing about the quarterbacks is there were no turnovers. This is my big fear when Trickett comes back, though Millard has been something of a turnover machine in the past as well. We can win a few games if these guys don’t turn it over much, though the margin is thin. For all the things Geno did well, he just didn’t throw many interceptions, even back when Mullen was the OC (though he was prone to fumbles). These guys have to take care of the ball.

While I thought the game was somewhat encouraging, I guess it’s a sad testament to the state of WVU football that right now I’d love it if we had a quarterback with the decision making ability of Paul Millard and the athleticism of Logan Moore.

5. Spatial Angel says:

Surprised to see the QBs taking hits. Were the coaches hoping they’d all get hurt? Millard was clearly the best of the three, as he should have been.

Aside to whomever does the announcing next year. Stick to play by play, identify as many players as you can. Please don’t converse.

6. DanInNJ says:

Bobby – yes, Dremius Smith was out with a bruised shoulder.