Juwan Staten and the stat of the year?

It’s one thing to play point guard in the Big 12 and do so for more than 37 minutes per game. It’s another to rank second in the league in scoring and lead the league in assists. Staten does all of this because WVU needs it and because Staten is able to stay on the floor.

Nobody in the conference is playing more and fouling less than Staten, which is sort of remarkable when you consider how the new rules are supposed to make things harder on a point guard. But he’s fifth in the conference in steals and is just never in foul trouble.

And here’s the nutshell statistic: He’s played six games without committing a foul and five games when he committed more than two. Ridiculous.

“He’s probably our best perimeter defender,” Huggins said. “Actually, he is our best perimeter defender. Actually, he’s our best defender, now that I think about it.”

Only three other players in the Big 12 average at least 25 minutes and have committed fewer fouls – and none of them play as much as Staten.

Baylor’s Kenny Chery averages 28.3 minutes and has committed 30 fouls. Texas Tech’s Toddrick Gotcher averages 26.7 minutes and has matched State’s foul total. TCU’s Amric Fields is the only other player averaging 30 minutes per game with fewer fouls and he’s missed seven games while committing 25 fouls.

“I feel like it makes me look like a weak defender when I foul,” Staten said. “I feel like if you foul it’s because somebody put you in a situation where you’re hopeless. I don’t like to be put in that situation.”

15 Responses to “Juwan Staten and the stat of the year?”

  1. hershy112 says:

    So what this all means is that Staten will foul out tomorrow against Oklahoma.

  2. Parks says:

    hershy–if that happens, I’m holding you personally accountable for such a thing!

  3. hershy112 says:

    Why not Mike?!?!

    Ha. I kid, I kid.

    I just said what everyone else was thinking. You know how things go around here when Mike writes an article about something/someone.

  4. Drew says:

    He’s the anti-Noreen.

  5. Rugger says:

    Does the Big XII have a Lady Byng Award?

  6. Parks says:

    Mike’s already cemented his place in jinx history, but he mostly jinxes prospective players or lower-roster players. You could have quite possibly jinxed our KEY player, Hersh. You get 97% of the responsibility. I’ll leave the other 3% to Mike for giving you the idea.

    Also, I’m purely kidding.

  7. Drew says:

    At least Mike didn’t write this in porm form. Do not, under any curcumstances, let him read this article out loud at Mario’s.

  8. Drew says:

    Porm should be poem. That looks bad.

  9. LoganvilleJeff says:

    My optimism that this team is going to be special next year is spreading to what remains of this season. From having no hope of ANY postseason play to daring to think that we may be approaching big dance consideration.

  10. SheikYbuti says:

    “Porm” form? Bow-chicka-wow-wow.

  11. smeer says:

    Drew establishes a new word in the WV lexicon – porn poetry = porm

  12. Parks says:

    My blind eyes read it as porn at first and part of me thought “whoa!” The other part of me thought “ok, I’d pay just to see what it was all about. But $9.99 is my cap.”

  13. Rugger says:

    I once knew a girl from Wheeling
    Who had a particular feeling……..

  14. MontanaEer says:

    I once knew a girl from Sutton
    Whose father’s chops were mutton.
    Her blues were naval.
    She had fuzz in her navel,
    Which is another word for belly button.

  15. Parks says:

    Whoa guys, Ted’s going to be pissed!

    Nice work though. You have my approval. Although Montana, I’m about to move
    Back to that area. I’m going to judge every female I pass now.