We’re getting painfully close to Labor Day weekend, when a flurry of cookouts will celebrate the last hurrah of summer.
If your plans call for plain-jane burgers and dogs, consider jazzing them up a bit with these high-falutin’ condiments …
- FLAVORED MAYO — Stir in a spoonful of pesto, olive tapenade, chopped chipotles, smoked paprika, curry or a little wasabi.
- FRUIT RELISH — Chop up apricot preserves, apple jelly, a little horseradish, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves, to taste, and season with salt and pepper. Or just buy a jar of prepared chutney!
- SPICY KETCHUP — Stir in a little Dijon mustard, roasted garlic, even a little vodka. Ooh-la-la!
- CLASSY CONDIMENTS — Stack on curried pickles, wild boar bacon, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms or roasted garlic.
- FANCY CHEESE — Add a slice (maybe two?) of smoked Gouda, a sprinkling of crumbled bleu or an herbed chevre.