Nails are a great canvas for beauty. Well maintained and manicured nails look classy and polished. Nail art is also a great way to accessorize and personalize your look.
We recently got in touch with Chelsea King, a celebrity and editorial manicurist and nail artist based out of Southern California.
Chelsea fell in love with painting and fashion from a young age and began her career as a hobby. Next came her blog, Chelsea Queen, and a nail art haven on social media. Her Instagram currently has more than 106,000 followers.
She began receiving requests for tutorials and designs for media outlets like Huffington Post, MTV and Refinery29. Chelsea’s work has been featured in various nail magazines, a nail art documentary and People StyleWatch. She has also worked on the nails of celebrities such as Kate Bosworth, Krysten Ritter and Shirley Manson. Not a bad gig!
AND, she’s also a student when she isn’t painting nails. She attends the University of California in Irvine. She said she hopes to “further her career by revolutionizing the nail art world with her attention to detail and innovative techniques.”
Now to her expertise. Check out seven tips Chelsea shared with us below!
1. Going on a vacation and want your mani to last, but don’t like the hassle of gel polish? I love using Dermelect’s Memento Manicure Extender Top Coat, which turns any polish into a gel-like finish. It has all the great qualities of gel — quick drying, long lasting and high shine — coupled with a peptide-infused formula, but does not require the harsh removal process of a gel manicure.
2. Going in and out of the pool can dry out your skin, so apply a cuticle oil every night to keep your cuticles moisturized and your mani looking fresh. I love Essie’s Apricot Cuticle Oil.
3. Drink tons of water to keep hydrated! If you’re dehydrated your nails can become dry and brittle, which causes polish to chip quicker.
4. During the summer months we always take extra steps to prevent sun damage, it’s important to extend that care all the way to your hands year around! Your hands show the first signs of aging, so I like to use a hand cream with SPF to prevent sun spots and wrinkling.
5. White polish during the summer months is my go-to color, it matches everything and makes you look tan! Go for a bright opaque white like Orly White Out.
6. Need a simple nail art look for summer? Go for a bright French tip mani. It’s a fun twist on a classic! Floss Gloss Wavepool is a gorgeous summer blue.
7. Minimal negative space nail art is everywhere at the moment, from the runways to Korean beauty trends! Start with a clean nail and paint a simple line or dot on each finger with a bright shade. Dermelect ‘ME’ in Coat D’Amour, a raspberry rose hue, is a great choice for summer! The minimal design allows for longer wear because you won’t notice chips as you would on a fully colored nail.