Megan Kennedy takes over the Daily Mail’s education beat from Samuel Speciale, who moves on to Statehouse. Education includes local schools, state education policy and higher education, so it’s a pretty big beat here. We’re glad to have Megan, and she seems pretty glad to be here. Here’s a bit more about her.
Megan Kennedy, reporter at the Charleston Daily Mail. Charleston Daily Mail/Craig Cunningham 06/30/15
Name: Megan P. Kennedy
Lives in: Charleston
Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio
Position at the Daily Mail: Education reporter
Graduated from: University of Dayton
With a degree in: Communication with a concentration in Journalism. I also have a minor in Anthropology.
Twitter handle: @wvschools
1. What was your first job? I was a grocery bagger for a grocery store. It was a painfully awkward time in my life.
2. What made you want to become a journalist? I’m extremely inquisitive about everything. Journalism allows me to explore my interests while simultaneously informing the public.
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? I love the openness of the newsroom. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly that I never really felt like the new person. So far, my sources have also been fabulous. Is it cliche to say that I don’t have a dislike? Maybe ask me again in a few months…
4. What do you do in your spare time? I spend a lot of time with my dog, Carl. I thoroughly enjoy the outdoors, so my fiance and I spend as much time outside as we can!
5. What’s the most satisfying journalistic effort you’ve produced? About two weeks after I started my journalistic career as a general assignment reporter right after college, I went an execution of a man who had murdered a woman and her unborn child. Since I was still so new to the job, the article itself wasn’t my best, but the experience is one I’ll likely never experience again.
Megan Kennedy’s rarely worn sunglasses
6. Name a personal item that is or will be on your desk: A pair of sunglasses that I found in Put-In-Bay, Ohio. I’ve never actually worn them, but they remind me of vacation!
7. Your favorite blog you read or Twitter feed you follow: Overheard Newsroom (@OHnewsroom). Hands down one of the funniest Twitter feeds.
8. What’s your favorite TV show? Book? TV show: The Killing (it’s on Netflix) and book: The Life of Pi.
9. What’s your favorite place in West Virginia? I haven’t had the chance to venture out much, just yet, but Charleston is a fun and lively place!
10. What’s one newsroom quirk you were surprised about? How well-versed everyone is with the show “Arrested Development.” I was pleasantly surprised that I’m not the only one who can quote the show nearly in its entirety.