Tyler Bell joined the Charleston Daily Mail in February as our police reporter. He’s not from far away — Cincinnati. But he came by way of North Dakota, where he was working at the Williston Herald newspaper in the heart of that region’s oil boom.
We learned a little bit more about him after his arrival, including his office-pleasing interest in cooking and baking. These are real attributes that were not mentioned during the application process.
Above all, we hope you enjoy reading his reporting.
Name: Tyler Bell
Lives in: Charleston
Position at the Daily Mail: Crime Reporter
Graduated from: University of Cincinnati
With a degree in: Photojournalism
Twitter handle: @Tyler_Bell87
1. What was your first job? Grocery bagger at Kroger
2. What made you want to become a journalist? The stories that haven’t yet been told.
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? I experience new things almost every day. Some of those things suck.
4. What do you do in your spare time? Cook, read, write fiction, lift weights and play video games.
5. What’s your favorite journalistic effort you’ve produced? A three-part feature on human trafficking that was pretty involved.
6. Name a personal item that is or will be on your desk: My camera.
7. Your favorite blog you read or Twitter feed you follow: I don’t really do either of these things.
8. What’s your favorite TV show? Book? The Wire. Blood Meridian.
9. What’s your favorite place in West Virginia? I’m partial to the roof of the parking garage right around sunset. I’ve only lived here for two months.
10. What’s one newsroom quirk you were surprised about? The widespread interest in comic books and nerd culture.