Cathy Caudill is a Charleston native and a former Charleston Daily Mail intern, where she earned bylines as a reporter. After she worked for us as an intern, she went off to graduate school. A couple of months ago, we had an opening on our copy desk — those unsung heroes who edit stories, write headlines, design attractive newspaper pages and keep our website running on time.
We hired Cathy back for that spot, and she’s jumped right in. Because her duties are largely behind the scenes, you won’t see her name much. Here’s a little more about her:
Name: Cathy Caudill
Lives in: Charleston, W.Va.
Hometown: Charleston, W.Va.
Position at the Daily Mail: Copy Editor
Graduated from: High Point University (undergrad); UNC-Greensboro (grad)
With a degree in: English Writing, History
Twitter handle: Deleted. (Please don’t make me get another, I tried and can’t make sense of it.)
1. What was your first job? Intern reporter at the Daily Mail. Or first full-time job? Copy editor at The Education Center.
2. What made you want to become a journalist? I love creative writing, but I’m terrible at coming up with original subjects to write about. I liked that journalism gave me an assignment.
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? I love being super informed about interesting things going on in town. The worst part is being super informed about tragedies.
4. What do you do in your spare time? I’m a big DIY-er and crafter. Lately I’ve been having fun with woodworking, making frames and doing wood-inlay. One day I want to make furniture. I’m saving for a power saw.
5. What’s your favorite journalistic effort you’ve produced? One of my first stories as an intern was about a man who’d had a double-lung transplant. It was a moving story, but I especially loved meeting him for the interview at his home. He was a taxidermy hobbyist, and there were taxidermied animals covering every inch of his home. It was bizarre and magnificent.
6. Name a personal item that is or will be on your desk: My Charley West mug. It was here when I got here, and I’m still not sure if it’s technically mine, but I’m claiming it. You’re not getting it back.
7. Your favorite blog you read or Twitter feed you follow: I follow NPR’s news and blogs pretty regularly. I read all day at work, so I like that I often get the option of listening to their stories.
8. What’s your favorite TV show? Book? “Parks and Recreation”; anything by Haruki Murakami
9. What’s your favorite place in West Virginia? The Potomac Highlands
10. What’s one newsroom quirk you were surprised about? There are more toys in here than a nursery.