Meet Joel Ebert, the latest addition to the Charleston Daily Mail reporting staff.
His job prior to this was with the Capital Journal in Pierre, S.D. Part of his role in Pierre was covering state government.
With the Daily Mail, Joel will be covering West Virginia government, including the governor, the Legislature, state agencies and the congressional delegation. He’ll be partnered up with Whitney Burdette, who also covers those areas.
Name: Joel Ebert
Lives in: Charleston’s East End
Position at the Daily Mail: Statehouse reporter
Graduated from: University of Illinois at Chicago
With a degree in: English
Twitter handle: @joelebert29
1. What was your first job? Golf caddy at Medinah Country Club (in Illinois)
2. What made you want to become a journalist? Reading travel and investigative stories
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? Not knowing where or what I’m going to be covering and where it might take me. Being in an office
4. What do you do in your spare time? Play basketball, racquetball, chess, NHL 94; make music, read, kayak, watch St. Louis Cardinals baseball
7. Your favorite blog you read or Twitter feed you follow: Capitolfax.com
8. What’s your favorite TV show? Book? Homicide/The Wire. 1984
9. What’s your favorite place in West Virginia? Don’t know enough about West Virginia yet
10. What’s one newsroom quirk you were surprised about? How often Kroger or food is brought up