If you’re a regular reader of the Charleston Daily Mail, you probably notice new names from time to time. You see the work and the name, but we don’t always tell you much more.
Sam started here Feb. 10. On his third day of work, he had a marathon state school board meeting. On his fourth day of work, he was snowed in by 7 inches of overnight accumulation.
Look for him for coverage of Kanawha County schools and other West Virginia education issues.
Wanna know more? Read on:
Name: Samuel Speciale
Lives in: Elkview, WV
Hometown: Elkview, WV
Position at the Daily Mail: Education Reporter
Graduated from: Marshall University
With a degree in: Print Journalism
Twitter handle: @WVschools
1. What was your first job? Fast food.
2. What made you want to become a journalist? A love for storytelling and slim job opportunities for creative writing majors.
3. What do you like most about your job? The least? Telling stories about interesting people. Covering long meetings.
4. What do you do in your spare time? Photography, dabbling in graphic design, binge watching Netflix or playing guitar.
5. What’s your favorite journalistic effort you’ve produced? Writing and designing Huntington’s 160-page comprehensive plan.
6. Name a personal item that is or will be on your desk: A good pen and leather notebook.
7. Your favorite blog you read or Twitter feed you follow: @chicagobulls
8. What’s your TV show? Book? House of Cards. The Divine Comedy.
9. What’s your favorite place in West Virginia? Capitol Street in Charleston.
10. What’s one newsroom quirk you were surprised about? The list of refrigerator rules.