All teams play Thursday-Saturday weekends, both home or both away. Exception: “Travel partners” North Texas and Rice play each other in a single game, Saturday.
My rankings, with results and schedule (RPI as of Monday morning):
- Middle Tennessee (13-3, 3-0, 19 RPI), d. Rice 80-77, North Texas 79-68. Raiders were down 11 with 3:01 left at Rice. This week: home vs. Marshall, WKU.
- Marshall (11-6, 4-0, 72 RPI), d. Old Dominion 90-86 (OT), d. Charlotte 110-93. Now we get to see what these guys can do as a road underdog. This week: at MTSU, UAB.
- Alabama-Birmingham (9-7, 2-1, 142 RPI), beat North Texas 54-52, Rice 88-81 (OT). William Lee’s game-winner avoided disaster at MT; Blazers needed OT after committing 3-shot-foul at the end of regulation. This week: home vs. WKU, Marshall.
- Old Dominion (10-6, 3-1, 115 RPI), lost to Marshall 90-86 (OT), d. WKU 79-67. Recovers from tough loss by outscoring Hilltoppers 44-21 over last 15 minutes. This week: home vs. La Tech, Southern Miss
- Louisiana Tech (10-6, 2-1, 265 RPI), d. UTEP 64-44, lost to UTSA 69-68. Booted 14-point second-half lead vs. UTSA, at home no less. This week: at Charlotte, ODU.
- Western Kentucky (10-8, 3-1, 229 RPI), d. Charlotte 82-80, lost to ODU 79-67. 6-game win streak shot down against Monarchs. This week: at UAB, MTSU.
- Rice (11-6, 1-3, 179 RPI), lost to MTSU 80-77, UAB 88-81 (OT). Two rough losses to top teams aren’t shameful, but Owls missed opportunities at home. This week: Home vs. North Texas.
- Charlotte (7-8, 1-3, 209 RPI), lost to WKU 82-80, Marshall 110-93. Victimized by late basket, then steamrolled by Herd offense. This week: at at La Tech, Southern Miss.
- Southern Mississippi (5-10, 2-1, 346 RPI), d. UTSA 77-59, UTEP 73-65. Suddenly, Doc Sadler’s bunch has cultivated confidence. his week: home at ODU, Charlotte.
- Texas-San Antonio (7-9, 2-1, 318 RPI), lost to Southern Miss 77-59, d. La Tech 69-68. Don’t know what to do with team now. Credited for physical presences at La Tech. This week: home vs. FAU, FIU.
- Florida Atlantic (5-9, 1-2, 301 RPI), d. FIU 73-64. his week, at UTSA, UTEP.
- North Texas (6-10, 0-4, 296 RPI), lost to UAB 54-52, MTSU 79-68. This week: at Rice.
- Florida International (4-12, 0-3, 340 RPI), lost to FAU 73-64. This week: at UTEP, UTSA.
- Texas-El Paso (2-13, 0-3, 350 of 351 RPI), lost to La Tech 64-44, Southern Miss 73-65. Looking down on Alabama A&M, but that’s it. Tim Floyd, you’re fired. This week: home vs. FIU, FAU.
TV games: beIN Sports: Marshall/MTSU, 8 p.m. Thursday. ASN (generally in local markets): La Tech, ODU 6 p.m. Saturday, La Tech/WKU 8 p.m. Saturday. ESPN 3: La Tech/Charlotte, 7 p.m. Thursday.
Top scorers: Elmore (MU) 21.1, Koulechov (Rice) 19.6, Davis (Char) , Evans (Rice) 19.1.
Rebounders: Kessens (FIU) 10.1, McCree (LT) 9.0, Taylor (ODU) 8.6.
Assists: Artis (UTEP) 6.53, Elmore (MU) 6.47, Bracey (LT) 5.8.
Top scoring teams: Marshall 89.9, Rice 82.8, Charlotte 79.1.
Top shooting teams: Rice .483, Middle Tennessee .478, Marshall .477.
Top 3-point % teams: Charlotte .395, Marshall .393, Rice .389.
Offensive rebound %: Old Dominion .377 (MU 10th at .266)
Defensive rebound %: UTSA .760 (MU 13th at .660)