The countdown to primary election day continues and once again, there are whole host of new potential candidates.
Here’s the latest roundup of the newest pre-candidacy filings that were submitted with the secretary of state’s office since I updated the 2016 Election Guide last week. You can find the guide here.
House of Delegates
- Martin Rick Atkinson III (R-Reedy) enters the District 11 race. Earlier this month, Atkinson was appointed to the House by Gov. Tomblin. Only one other candidate – Riley Keaton (R-Spencer) has filed pre-candidacy papers in the race.
- Patrick S. Martin (R-Buckhannon) is the third Republican to join the race in District 46. The seat is currently held by Democrat Peggy Donaldson Smith, who has not filed pre-candidacy papers. The other Republicans seeking to win their party’s nomination include Derick Love (Jane Lew) and James Richard Atchison (Weston).
- Bob Plymale (D-Huntington) filed his pre-candidacy papers in hopes of being re-elected to represent the 5th District. No one else has filed paperwork yet.
- Scott Ash (Bluefield, Circuit Court Judge)
- Robert A Burnside Jr. (Ghent, Circuit Court Judge, 10th Circuit, Division 3)
- Seth Harper (Ripley, Circuit Court Judge, 5th Circuit)
- Cheryl Lynne Henderson (Huntington, Circuit Court Judge)
- Amy L.M. Herrenkohl (Barboursville, Circuit Court Judge, 6th Circuit)
- Gregory L. Howard Jr (Huntington, Circuit Court Judge)
- Robert Skogstad Jr (Parkersburg, Family Court Judge, 3rd Circuit)
- Jason A. Wharton (Parkerbsurg, Circuit Court Judge, 4th Circuit)
- Patrick N. Wilson (Fairmont, Circuit Court Judge)
- William Bell (R-Vienna)